Chiesa di San Pietro a Poggio Santa Cecilia

As it may be seen in a memorial plaque at the entrance, the parish of the ancient church of Santa Maria in Ferrata was moved there, near to the castle, in 1798. The fašade is classical, with side pilasters and a stone triangular tympan portal encircled by the crest of Pietro Buoninsegni from 1690, which certifies the family patronage. Inside the single nave with three altars, was completely restored in the XIX century. In fact in the decade 1820-30 there were executed: the stucco high altar, the choir stalls, the wall temperas with sacred subjects by Vincenzo Dei, which have been partially substituted in the presbytery area with wall paintings by P. Sorio, dated 1943.

Related book: Le Crete senesi, la Val d'Arbia e la Val di Merse


back